Monday, March 8, 2010

Keeping house.. where?

Anne's entries in various Federal Census have her either "keeping house" or "work" - and the question in my mind is -- where? I think we can safely bet that Anne did not have the luxury of connecting to a VPN and working at her kitchen table, so where exactly did she work and where did she keep house?

In 1850, I find an Ann Hoy listed amongst a range of people -- in Hell's Kitchen -- this fits with the family story -- that Anne found work in a boarding house in Hell's Kitchen. If this is Anne, she lived with a Rufus Davenport, age 74, and his son, George, a Harriet Cable (46) and Harriet and Caroline Webb (60 and 36 respectively). Davenport is listed as a merchant; if this is Anne, Anne, her living arrangement may have been very similar to the communal living she came from in Kilcumnin. I assume her days were spent cleaning, and maybe cooking.

This entry is the only Ann Hoy or Anne Hoey If find in 1850 -- at least of one born in Ireland. There is another Ann Hoy - but born in New York. The Davenport entry is in Ward 5 -- the West side of New York (in Hell's Kitchen).

In 1860, I find John and Anne, with a young Maurice and a 5 month old baby, Thomas. I think this is the baby that we read about in the story - who died with no name. I can "feel" my family in this part of the story -- we just don't talk about sad things and Thomas name would certainly have been a sad one to bring up. -- [a tuck was taken]. You can see this entry in the Census in the Anne Hoey timeline. By this time, the Nolan's are in the 18th Ward -- I believe on East 25th Street; I find a John Nolan (laborer) listed in the New York City Directory for 1859-- and that is the only John Nolan in the 18th Ward.

It is highly unlikely that Anne was working at all at this point; Irish mothers were the least likely to work after motherhood -- interestingly, they were MORE likely to work than other immigrant women before marriage and even after marriage, until children arrived.

1870 -- CONFUSION exists. I am sorry to say I am not certain I have found them yet - so stay tuned! Thus far, I've paged through 1870 Census thinking of alternate spellings of Nolan - but no luck. I found an Ann and John - but no kids listed and that is not a strong hit - as by 1870, they would have had Maurice or Morris, Mary A, and Ellen.

By 1880, as our family story details, we find the Nolan's in White Plains; no street address on this page of the Census return so I am not certain where in White Plains - once I find a city directory I will have some more information to share!

In 1900, Anne is listed at 57 Pearl Street in a Port Chester Directory. By this time, she is living with her son John (listed as unemployed) and her daughter Margaret, whose work is noted as "W". Maurice, Mary, and Ellen have established families at this point and are listed elsewhere -- mainly in Greenwich.

In 1910, Anne is listed living with John Nolan - at 119 Pearl Street, in Port Chester.

In 1910 - 1930, we find the Nolan's children around Greenwich - many with careers (Maurice is an inspector and John a policeman). They all have fewer children than their parents; and all of them are listed as being able to read and write. Clearly, the American dream had taken hold.

(i will keep adding to this spreadsheet as I find information)

No comments :

Post a Comment